About this Show

The O Reilly Factor

News/Business. (2012) (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 760 (FOX NEWS HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Obama 18, America 12, Barack Obama 8, Us 8, Florida 8, Dick Morris 5, Dennis Miller 5, Virginia 5, Miller 4, Sandy 4, Bernie Goldberg 4, Hindsight 3, Mitt Romney 3, Bible 2, Libya 2, Ohio 2, Wisconsin 2, Allstate 2, Bernie 2, Dr. Scholl 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    The O Reilly Factor    News/Business.  (2012)  (CC)  

    November 7, 2012
    8:00 - 9:00pm PST  

8:00pm
the polls. in the meantime, keep it here on fox news channel, the most powerful name in news. go to gretawire.com and blog with us. smith. here is mr. bill. >> bill: the o'reilly factor is on. tonight: >> they are almost reaching pandemonium now. >> what might he have done differently? what could they have done better? >> i think the real story here, obama won but he has got no mandate. >> bill: millions of voters angry today. millions of voters delirious with joy. we will tell you exactly why president obama won re-election and talk about the future of the republic party. >> romney is going to win by 4 to 8 points. is he going to get more than 300 electoral votes. >> bill: very bad night for pundit dick morris he was wrong on just about everything. he will be here to talk about it. >> in a world are where they throw the word great around so capriciously, is he a good
8:01pm
man. >> bill: what does dennis miller think on the morning after? the d-man will let it all hang out tonight. >> we're soft in the head. >> bill: caution, you where to enter the no spin zone. the factor begins right now. ♪ ♪ >> bill: i'm bill o'reilly. thanks for watching us tonight. what the heck happened last night. that is the subject of this evening's boy do i have a story to till about the presidential vote. so perk up. here we go. i thought mitt romney was a good choice to run against president obama because of his economic experience. also the governor is a free market capitalist and offered a stark contrast to the president who wants the federal government to drive the economy. the campaign unfolded slowly as most persons did not know romney. and with all the high tech gizmos these days, it's difficult to get the attention
8:02pm
of the folks. so i knew very early that the polling was insignificant and the debates would be the real test. as i said, these polls are interesting but they are not vital because of the debates, the three debates i think really going to the tale. >> i told you earlier this year when you said debates are going to be all important. i said the history shows they are not. >> bill: i'm so happy that you brought that up. can i just -- can i paraphrase barack obama? in the last debate? can i do that? >> of course. >> bill: can you say that a bit louder, brit? that's why i like hume, is he an honest man. as we all know the first debate was a major victory for governor romney. instantly made him competitive. but he did not exactly seize the day. his campaign played it conservative managing romney's appearances tightly scripting his media response. then in the third debate, the governor made a big mistake: now, the key question is, why
8:03pm
did governor romney avoid asking president obama about the chaotic libyan situation? i hope i get to ask the governor that as we are seeking an interview with him and also with president obama. my guess is that mr. romney wanted to appear benign in the debate in order to court single women voters. >> bill: the reason mitt romney should have confronted the president over libya is that after the debate, the media would have been forced to cover the story, which is a major embarrassment to the president and speaks to his overall leadership. it's not just about libya. it's about honest representation in the oval office. and it's about effective anti-terror measures. romney should have made that issue center stage. because he did not, the press and the voters basically ignored it. still, still, after the third debate, romney had some momentum. but it was suddenly blown away by hurricane sandy.
8:04pm
that disaster took romney off the front pages for five days while president obama dominated the news cycle and gained credibility after he was praised by conservative new jersey governor chris christie. obama supporters were delirious with joy. >> i'm so glad we had that storm last week because i think the storm was one of those things. no, politically i should say not in terms of hurting people. the storm brought in possibilities for good politics. >> bill: exit polling yesterday showed 42% of those who voted, 42 percent said president obama's response to hurricane sandy was an important part of their decision. also, 9% of those voting yesterday said their decision was made at the last minute. and the storm was fresh in everybody's mind. but sandy did not directly reelect president obama. hispanic americans did. breaking 71% for the president. despite all of that, mitt
8:05pm
romney could have won the election had he recaptured momentum last weekend. it's like a sporting event. the team with the mo in the last few minutes of the game usually wins. but the romney campaign did nothing, zero, nothing in the last few days to jump start the governor. local campaigning is never enough. if mitt romney had a guy as smart as obama's chief strategist david axelrod, the governor would be celebrating tonight. talking points believes that by not emerging aggressively after sandy, romney cost himself the presidency. and if the election had been held 8 days earlier, the governor would have defeated barack obama. now, going forward, some folks are despairing today, mike ballinger who lives in west hartford, connecticut wrote: we have lost our american way of life. there is some truth to what mike believes. dennis miller has a similar take coming up. but the truth is the u.s.a. is
8:06pm
a rapidly changing country. and the republic party has to rethink strategy. in hindsight, senator marco rubio would have been the best choice to run with mitt romney. it's not a knock on congressman paul ryan he did very well. it's just that the g.o.p. knees to send a powerful signal to g.o.p. voters that respect them. they cast approximately 11 million ballots yesterday. obama beat romney by less than 3 million in the popular vote. the good news for the republics is that the pressure is now on president obama and the democrats. if the economy doesn't improve dramatically over the next four years, the democratic party will evaporate. simple as that what is more complicated is the mind set of the american people. as i reported last night during the election coverage about half of all american homes are now receiving some kind of government entitlement. some earned, some not. so any effort to reform or cut
8:07pm
back on entitlements is a tough sell. but it's going to have to be done. president obama won because he effectively put together a coalition of the willing. voters who had something to gain by keeping him in office. but with the nation heading towards financial insolvency, possible bankruptcy, that kind of where's mine attitude will bring economic ruin. if mitt romney had forcefully made that case, he might have prevailed. this year it was not enough to say what you would do to defeat the obama machine. you had to convince voters danger in the president's policies. mitt romney could not convince enough independent voters of that. the governor needed to overwhelm the electorate with points of doom because they are real. he needed to bring an urgency to his presentation.
8:08pm
he did not. preferring to campaign the old fashioned way. by the way, stock market tanked today. down 313 points. in response to the vote. wall street worried about obama economics going forward. as far as moving the republic party further into the conservative precincts, the numbers simply aren't there. exit polling found that 35% of voters described themselves as conservative right now. 25% liberal, 41% moderate. so while the right is still powerful, ideology is not going to win the national election any longer. the president is indeed a liberal guy. but he ran as a populist. who wants to give working americans a break. his acolytes pushed the far left nonsense. he didn't, however, behind the scenes mr. obama embraced just about every far left cause. that is cause for concern. because in his final term,
8:09pm
only the house of representatives stands between barack obama and a far left ideological administration. thank god for that check and balance. on a personal note, americans who voted for mitt romney are understandably disappointed tonight. but should accept the situation. setting themselves up as the loyal opposition. that's the way it's always been in america. i believe things happen for a reason. and that fate swings hard and in unexpected ways. president obama won fair and square, to use a cliche and we should all respect the vote. what's very important to me is that you, whom i'm sworn to look out for, were satisfied with the factor's election coverage. about 40,000 of you voted in our bill o'reilly.com poll. and 80% believe we were fair while 20% dissent. i will read some of those dissenting letters at the end of the broadcast. even more impressive was that more than 7 million americans
8:10pm
watched this program, the factor on monday evening the night before the vote. by far, the largest audience of any prime time news program. the reason we tell it straight. may not agree with me on everything but what we do here is fair, bold and sometimes fresh and not beholden to anyone. and that's the way elections should be covered. and that's the memo. up ahead tonight, morris, goldberg, miller and beckel. we're coming right back. [ male announcer ] there are only so many foods that make kids happy. and even fewer that make moms happy too. with wholesome noodles and bite sized chicken, nothing brings you together like chicken noodle soup from campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. i have a great fit with my dentures. i love kiwis. i've always had that issue with the seeds getting under my denture. super poligrip free --
8:11pm
it creates a seal of the dentures in my mouth. even well-fitting dentures let in food particles. super poligrip is zinc free. with just a few dabs, it's clinically proven to seal out more food particles so you're more comfortable and confident while you eat. super poligrip free made the kiwi an enjoyable experience. [ charlie ] try zinc free super poligrip. ve lately. but because of business people like you, things are beginning to get rolling. and regions is here to help. making it easier with the expertise and service to keep those wheels turning. from business loans to cash management, we want to be your partner moving forward. so switch to regions. and let's get going. together. to compete on the global stage. what we need are people prepared for the careers of our new economy. by 2025 we could have 20 million jobs
8:12pm
without enough college graduates to fill them. that's why at devry university, we're teaming up with companies like cisco to help make sure everyone is ready with the know-how we need for a new tomorrow. [ male announcer ] make sure america's ready. make sure you're ready. at devry.edu/knowhow. ♪
8:13pm
>> bill: continuing now with our lead story, analyzing presidential vote of 2012. joining us now from charlesville, virginia dr. larry sabato pollster scott rasmussen. scott, what surprised you the most last night. >> the thing that surprised me the most was how precisely the obama campaign projected the white turnout. that was decisive.
8:14pm
mitt romney got nearly 6 out of 10 white voters. most people thought that the obama campaign was being wildly optimistic that they could get the minority turnout to 28% of the vote but they did just what they said. >> bill: they got it to 28%. is that what it was in 2008? >> no, it was 26%. >> bill: they actually under their quo tent. >> under their quotient. not just the latino voters which you mentioned in the talking points memo but also they got young people to the polls. >> bill: youngsters didn't go for obama the way they did in 2008. he didn't get as many -- >> -- the story here is they did show up in bigger numbers and seniors did not. seniors were much more favorable towards mitt romney. basically the obama campaign knew who they had to get to the polls and they got them out. >> bill: did that surprise you, doctor? >> yes, it did. look, everybody said before the election and on election day ohio, ohio, ohio. well, now that the election is over, what we ought to be saying is demographics,
8:15pm
demographics, demographics because that explains what happened in this election and why we are on a new path now. there is no question about it. >> bill: i'm not so sure about the new path business. i understand as i said in the talking points memo the republic party has to reboot and have a message to hispanic americans that they are a party that should be considered. but, as i said, if the economy does not turn around, you can forget about the democratic party. they are going to just evaporate. the people have been very generous to barack obama. the american people are very generous to him. they have given him another chance. he fails now, believe me. now, all right, dr. sabato picked 48 out of 50. he got florida wrong and virginia wrong. in both florida and virginia, it was the hispanic vote, scott, that put the president over the top. correct? >> correct. and that is, again, the story of the election. those people hot obama campaign knew they could get out to vote. >> bill: let's keep it on hispanics for the moment.
8:16pm
>> the hispanic voters they identified not just hispanics in general but hispanics who were going to be supportive of the president and they got them to vote in bigger numbers. >> bill: okay. but in florida, in virginia, and colorado and in nevada, four swing states, it was the hispanic americans who gave the plurality. >> they pushed him over the top. >> bill: to president obama. >> that's correct. >> bill: that's four states, four big ones. >> it does reflect something that the republicans need to address going forward. >> bill: romney made a huge mistake in the primary when he said, doctor, that people here ill illegally should self-deport. the reason it was a mistake is because it wasn't really explained what he meant. i don't think it was a nefarious thing. he didn't really explain it. it got, you know, taken, twisted around, spun as ominous, you knows, an-on-ominous statement to americans. that put romney right from the
8:17pm
jump. that's what happened. >> you don't generally get the votes of people you insult. i think you are right. some hispanics, many hispanics. >> bill: it wasn't an intentional insult. it was a solution to a problem that governor put forth but didn't fully explain. >> but the other part of it, bill, you mentioned, too. and i happen to agree with you. this is no cut on paul ryan. i thought he worked very hard, the best he could. >> bill: absolutely not. >> he had never been elected to statewide office in wisconsin. you saw the results. >> bill: wisconsin -- in hindsight, everybody puts marco rubio on the ticket. in hindsight. you have to. because florida, you lose florida and everybody including you and scott thought florida was going to go to governor romney. you got rubio on the ticket. florida goes. and then you deintensify instead of 71%, scott, you maybe have 65% or 66%. that could have been enough. >> that could have been enough. bill, i think we are missing one part of this. elections are still about fundamentals, the president's
8:18pm
job approval was at 50%. that was his share of the vote. his job approval was at auto% because the economy was a little bit better than the day he was elected. that put him in position to be competitive and that's why the matter. >> shepard: looking at the sheet, he won very very small. >> very small. >> but 50% job approval. 50% of the vote. >> bill: thanks very much. next on the run down, dick morris, under heavy guard, will tell us how he mispredicted the entire thing. later dennis miller and bernie goldberg will analyze the election for us as well. and we're coming right back. [ male announcer ] if someone asks what it feels like to drive a jeep grand cherokee, tell them it's like being nestled in an eight-way, adjustable, heated and ventilated seat surrounded by a 500-watt sound system while floating on a suspension made of billowy clouds. or you could just hand them your keys. ♪
8:19pm
8:20pm
8:21pm
personal story segment tonight, perhaps the most disappointed person in the country besides mitt romney is dick morris.
8:22pm
he predicted a victory landslide. he was analyzing you're gray. morris joins us now from west palm beach, florida. all right, morris, what say you? i plead guilty, i goofed, i made a mistake. i under counted the minority turnout and women and young people single women. i thought the 2008 turnout was a fluke. i said if the turnout is what it is in 2008, then the polls are accurate and obama is going to win. but they are not. and i said you need to average 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 and take the average so you get rid of the outlier. it turned out to the to be an outlier. turns out to be a trend. the average said that 11% of the vote was black. in fact, it was 13 the average said 8% latino and it was 10. the average said 17% under 30.
8:23pm
in fact it was 19. the average said 16% single white women. in fact, it was 18. when you take those together, you are dealing with a 6 to 8 point move in the item graphics most of which went to obama. when i predicted that obama would lose by 5 points, romney would win by 5, and, in fact, obama won by 1. that's a six point move and that's because i got the item graphics 8 points wrong. >> okay. the permanent conclusion here is that as the sabato said, america has changed. 2008 was not just rally to the first black candidate ever overwhelming college kid fantasy and rock star and all of that. 2008 was a fundamental election that illustrated a change in american society. >> bill: remember. >> done it before for 30 years like me missed it. >> bill: remember, you had 2010 though that swung back the other way when the tea party. >> that's what threw me off.
8:24pm
>> bill: i'm not buying this whole -- i know we are in a different country and i know secular progressivism because of the public school education system and a lot of things taken strong. as i said if the economy doesn't improve, two years from now, the democrats are going to get whacked. it doesn't married how many single women are running around they will get killed. >> something very scary for you which sets it in a very interesting context. 13% of the vote was black. obama carried it 12 to 1. 10% was latino, obama carried it 7 to 3. 1% of the vote was under 30. obama carried it 12 to 7. 18% of the vote was single white women, obama carried it 12 to 6. now, some of those overlap. but, based on item graphics before they walked into the polling place before they had a decision to make. obama carried those groups 43 to 17. that means out of the entire
8:25pm
remaining 40% of the country, he needed to get 15% of the vote to win. now, it's not quite so bad because a lot of single women are black and a lot of the young people are latino and so on. but any way, you could basically say that it was 35 to about 12 of people whose votes were decided for them by their ethnicity, their age, or their gender or their condition of marriage. >> bill: i'm understanding that. >> i don't mean that they are bossed and told what to do. what i mean is their perspective is a very different one. >> bill: but it's going to change. their perspective is going to change based upon their economic livelihood and how well they are doing. now, final question. >> bill: not necessarily, bill. >> bill: this is no night to argue with me dick.
8:26pm
how badly does this hurt your franchise. >> well, you know, anybody else who has gotten the president of the united states elected, tell me you are better than i am at it. >> bill: you are going to hearken back to the -- >> as far as i'm with axelrod and rove and caddell and carville because we are the only ones that have done it. >> bill: all right. dick morris standing there and taking the heat. all right, morris. thanks very much. plenty more ahead as the factor moves along this evening. bernie goldberg has some thoughts about the future of the republic party. and media reaction to the president's victory last night. dennis miller on how he is feeling today. not real good. we hope you stay tuned for those reports.
8:27pm
8:28pm
8:29pm
8:30pm
i would calling the far left loons in that party to tamp it down a bit. president obama didn't win by very much. far left politics hurt him more than helped him. with us now were the five bob beckel. you were pretty close in your prediction. you underestimated barack obama's electoral college win. what did you know he was going to win? first of all. >> i knew he was going to win about a week ago. you said something last night. i think it had something to do with it the sandy thing did it. i don't think that romney had momentum like a lot of people do. i do think it took him off the stage for three or four days
8:31pm
and that mattered. more importantly than that it was clear the item graphics of this election were going to have white voters down in the low 70s. at that point republicans can't wish, i don't care who they're. >> bill: three million less republicans, fewers republicans, thank you, volted for romney than mccain. >> right. >> bill: interestingly enough. you know president obama's total was down as well. why do you think that? ikehought republics would turn the president and the economy. >> always difficult to get people to come out to vote against somebody than for somebody. romney did not excite a will whole lot of the base of the republic party. >> bill: i find that so hard to believe. i really do. i thought it was a referendum on the president from the very beginning and republicans would be furious about his big government approach and quasisocialistic. >> you still have to beat him with somebody. referendum on the president of the united states. have you got to put somebody in there. >> bill: romney was not a bad candidate. >> how do you know he wasn't a
8:32pm
bad candidate. >> bill: i saw with my own ice. do you think he would be a good president. >> bill: i have no idea. >> do you want to take that risk? >> bill: why not? you took a risk on barack obama. >> that's right. we did all right. >> bill: republicans would take a risk on mitt romney. is he an intelligent guy. ran a state. he was a governor. why not take a chance on him. you still haven't comand to me why 3 million less voted for romney than mccain in the republic party. >> the only thing i can say to you is i am not an expert in the republic party except if you don't have enthusiasm enough for a guy you will not turn out in those numbers. >> bill: you think they were more enthusiastic for john mccain. >> in some case, yes. he had been around a lot long. he also had the military. do you know in virginia romney and barack obama split the active military vote? now, how do you explain that? >> bill: i don't. i can't explain it at all. the things that i can can explain are the entitlement culture it, obviously going to vote for president obama. if you are on the other end of that. obviously. but, i can't explain, for example, single women other than the abortion issue i just
8:33pm
can't imagine it's driving those numbers to that extent. why do single women not like the republic party for what reason. >> they haven't liked it for 15 or 20 years. >> bill: married women do. single women don't. explain it to me. >> nothing the republic party put forward that attract single women. >> bill: that's not. >> tell me what it is. >> bill: that's oversimplyification. have you got two women. both 32 years old. one single, one is married. the married one statistically likes the republicans and the single one doesn't. why? >> why because they think the republic party wants to invade their space. >> bill: invade their space? >> invade their space. the 32-year-old single woman thinks some g.o.p.er is going to come to her door and invade her space? >> let me ask you this when you have two candidates from the united states senate says rape is something that happens. >> bill: they lost. >> that represents the republic party in a the love people's minds. >> bill: wait a minute. hold it. those guys represent the republic party? does michael moore represent the grak party. >> no.
8:34pm
but you are the one that opened up by saying left wing -- yeah, they hurt them. >> bill: like your right wing kooks didn't hurt you? >> bill: me? talking about me? i don't know. you haven't answered my question. you are a brilliant man. two 32-year-old women. one married, one single. the married one goes for the g.o.p., the single one goes for the democrats. why? >> because they don't believe the republics have given them anything that they can relate to. >> bill: the married woman does believe the republicans give them something but the single woman doesn't? i'm not getting it. >> look, it's because you don't get item graphics, that's part of the problem. the reality is here that there are married women who have always been consistently been with the republicans and single women been with democrats. why is that? there is a lot of theories about it. when you sit there and say entitlement society you are talking about people getting social security and medicare. >> bill: no i'm not. i'm talking about means tested. don't give me that. >> wait a second. >> bill: come on oyou know what i'm talking about. >> you said 47%.
8:35pm
>> bill: you are delirious tonight. i didn't mention anything about 47%. >> how big is the entitlement society. >> bill: half of the american homes receive some kind of entitlement. some earned, some not. >> 7 a% actually do when you take in account mortgage deductions of the a lot of those on social security and medicare. >> bill: when you come back next week, think about it for a week, talk to your friends. i want to know why the married woman goes for the g.o.p. and the single woman doesn't. >> if you want to dedicate your show to that i would be happy to do it. >> bill: i'm dedicating. when we come right back, bernie goldberg on the media and the election. what will happen to the republic party going forward? bernie is next.
8:36pm
8:37pm
this bible changed the world. i'm kirk cameron. four hundred years ago our forefathers risked their lives to bring this bible to the shores of america. because it contained the principals for economic
8:38pm
liberty, political liberty and religious freedom. the 1599 geneva bible. it was the first complete english translation, complete with chapters, numbered verses and 300,000 utterly unique study notes. it actually came out before the king james version and because the government didn't authorize it, it was outlawed. but it was a bible by the people, for the people, the book that built america. and now for the first time in 400 years it's available again in a beautiful leather edition. i have one, i want you to have yours too. please visit genevabible.com and get your copy of this rare and historic version of god's word today. thank you and may god bless you. [ male announcer ] if it wasn't for a little thing called the computer, we might still be making mix tapes. find this. pause this. play this. eject this. write this. it's like the days before esurance express lane™. you had to find a bunch of documents
8:39pm
just to get a car insurance quote. now express lane finds your driving info with just one click, saving time to be nostalgic about the days before express lane. thank you, insurance for the modern world. esurance. now backed by allstate. click or call. >> bill: thanks for staying with us. weekdays with bernie segment tonight. let's get to the purveyor of bernard goldberg.com. bernie goldberg. you say that the media did not defeat mitt romney but it did help president obama. explain that. >> yeah. were there reporters? a lot of reporters who were rooting for barack obama? no question. about mitt romney lose because of that. no, but no with a an asterisk. let's take one example that you used in talking points,
8:40pm
benghazi. the media played down that story. if they had played it up. that could have been a big deal. that could have been a game changer. it could have swayed the election. but mitt romney didn't play it up either. he decided after the first presidential debate to play it safe. to run out the clock. bad strategy. and then the hurricane and the embrace with the governor and the president, lights out. but here is where the asterisk comes in and here is where the media did effect the election. when president obama -- when barack obama decided he wanted to run for president, the media decided they were going to fall in love with him. they were going to create an image of somebody who was bigger, better, different, smarter. than any other politician who came before him. he wasn't even a politician as far as they were concerned. he he was -- there was a column in the "wall street journal" that described him as america's first cult personality president.
8:41pm
and it worked, bill. the p.r. campaign that the media crafted worked. obama got reelected. but, here's the final point on this. when you have this messiah-type figure who also has a goody bag who is handing out free stuff to people, hey, you want contraceptives? hey, they are free. i will give them to you. you want mope? well, i will take it from this guy and give it to these people. that is a tough candidate to beat. and the media created that image which is totally false, is he a politician. at times a very nasty politician. but they created a kind of mother teresa character and it worked. >> bill: more moses than mother teresa. coming down. he has got the tablets. this is how we are going to do it. it's all going to work out. that's a very good astute analysis. >> thank you. >> bill: inside the republic party there is a lot of anger and bitterness and finger
8:42pm
pointing and blaming and we have got to change and what do you say? >> yeah. well i say first of all you are absolutely right and what you said just now what we're gonna hear and we have already started hearing it is we nominated a moderate four years ago, it didn't work. we nominated a moderate this time. it didn't work. now we need a real conservative. and if, by real they mean the most conservative candidate available, that will be a very, very big mistake. because well pat buchanan was the most conservative candidate in recent memory. he never became president and he never won the support of most republicans. michele bachmann wouldn't have won last night. rick santorum wouldn't have won last night. here is where the problem comes in. the republics need a conservative with charisma. and it's got to be the kind of candidate who is smart enough
8:43pm
to explain to these groups like women, latinos, young voters, and they have to stop this bible-based bashing of gay people. they have to bring these people in without, without seeing out their conservative principles. >> bill: that's of the hard part because young single women in order to get them in the tent many of them you have got to throw the abortion issue out the wind doe. that's a core fundamental belief you can't do. >> that's the problem. any time -- you are absolutely right. absolutely. abortion should be thrown out the window, not as an issue but, you could still be pro-life and say, hey, this is not one of the things i'm going to be talking about during the campaign. you don't sell out your pro-life principles but you don't make abortion a big issue because there are too many women out there who say, you know, there is war on women. i mean, this -- they concocted a war on women and it worked.
8:44pm
>> bill: it worked to some extent. i don't think -- look, i think the single women vote would have gone for barack obama no matter what mitt romney did or anybody like mitt romney. you have got to go into the hispanic precincts there you can make some inroads. because that's more of a traditional community. let me ask you this. if the numbers say and they did at the exit polling yesterday that 35% of americans call themselves conservative, how can the conservative wing of the republic party believe that just with that base they can win? the numbers just aren't there. >> it's a very troubling and unfortunately a very good question. the numbers are not there. and that's why they have to -- look, all i'm saying is that they have to figure out a way. i don't have the way right now. not tonight. they have to figure out a way to get to those latinos. to get to those women. to get to those young people and explain to them that an entitlement society, which is
8:45pm
what the democrats proposed, is not the. >> bill: it's not going to help them in the long run. that's exactly right. you can take conservative principles and you can market them effectively to certain groups just like obama took entitlement and marketed them. and that's what they have to do. it's got to be niche marketing and you have to have the candidate go out and sell it. it will be miller time. the d-man digesting mitt romney's defeat yesterday. romney's defeat yesterday. miller after these messages. my insurance rates e probably gonna double. but, dad, you've got... [ voice of dennis ] allstate. with accident forgiveness, they guarantee your rates won't go up just because of an accident. smart kid. [ voice of dennis ] indeed. are you in good hands?
8:46pm
introducing the new droid razr maxx hd by motorola. now more than ever droid does.
8:47pm
8:48pm
>> bill: back of the book segment tonight, miller time. the sage of southern california is in chicago this evening where he has been mulling over mitt romney's defeat. miller, what say you?
8:49pm
>> well, let's see, first off, i just saw dick morris' dog out on michigan avenue dubs and he was that knawing on a boe made out of hemlock. >> bill: not a good day for the morris meister. >> secondly i want to say that i have met romney, folks. i know a lot of have you been convinced that this guy is the problem with america. he is not. he is a very good man. he cares greatly for this country. i have actually talked to him in the last, well, emailed him in the last day. is he a great patriot. i know that that side is going to paint him as the trouble with america. if he he is the trouble with america. folks, country does have a lot, a lot of problems. >> bill: i didn't hear any of that today, painting romney as a problem other than he didn't run his campaign as effectively. >> i have got to jump. in i only have a few minutes here i have got it use my time. >> bill: sure.
8:50pm
>> if you haven't heard them over the last year demonizing mitt romney. >> bill: no, today. >> no, i'm not talking about today. i'm talking about this man has been run through the ringer over the last year. >> bill: okay. i got it? >> biden has said he wants to put people back in chains. that's not the case i want to say mr. romney, i'm proud of you. i think you are a good man. i don't care what the other side says about you being the problem with america. >> bill: how much do you think those unfair attacks that were launched incessantly from the spring right through to election day influenced the election? >> i don't know about that. i'm guessing on elections. i'm not an election near guy. but i do know it's patently unfair just to a good human being. the election, listen, i think this is where this country is at right now. you know, i don't know everybody else's political predlictions. yesterday some people think this was the day america has ever had. its proudest moment. i don't agree. i'm sorry.
8:51pm
i know that's going to make me demonized. i know i'm going to be the object of revenge now. i'm not going to back off of it. i like a country where people bust their tukas. i think this country has gone a long way towards becoming more of a european model. i would say, once again, read the book amity slaz epps book the forgotten man. if you are out there right now making $45,000 a year busting your hump, being away from your family because it's in your hard drive to do the right thing, the right thing changed in this country yesterday. you can get close to that from the government. and i'm telling you when nancy pelosi said, kids, take some time off, read a book, learn an instrument. well, listen, it's not always about kids. sometimes it's about these hard working guys out there who i feel sorry for. and i would tell them, get in the hand-up line and don't get in the hand-down line anymore. it doesn't make sense. >> bill: are you fearful for your country?
8:52pm
what's your frame of mind? >> i don't think it's going to turn into blade runner or anything like that. but i just -- listen, i liked it the way it was. it's not going to be like that anymore. it's going to be -- i don't know. all i can say is this. most graphic depiction of it is women, single women in this country now, when they look up and they are looking for somebody to aspire to, it's somebody like sandra fluke. now, i don't know how to distill this down, that doesn't resonate with me. i'm not going anywhere where these people always say i'm leaving the country and i'm doing this and i'm doing that it's the best country in the world. but, does it surprise me a little that that's what it has come to? do i think i will ever see it go back in my lifetime the other way? no, i don't. i think this is it. this is the new thing, i go by the majority. i'm a good citizen. i will pay any tax they ask me to because i'm not a cheater. but do i think it's the america that i saw from 18 to
8:53pm
58? no, i don't. is that the end of the world? no, it's not like i was in the shower this morning and found a lump in my armpit. that's always my fall back position. i have got a great life. but i'm just saying it is not the mercury have grown comfortable with. maybe i will get comfy with it in the future. >> bill: here is what i said up top. if barack obama fails to turn the economy around, with all of this social justice secular progressivism, and i wrote oa book on it, culture warrior. if he fails this time, miller, the democratic party and the liberal movement collapse. not for two years, but forever. just consider that. and i will give you the last word. >> billy, i just want to tell you, i will give you the final word. this is no longer silk. my pocket squares are now paper towel. that's where we are going. [ laughter ] all right. dennis miller, everybody. talking from the heart. which is why we love him. we would like to thank all of
8:54pm
you that have made bolder fresher shows this year. 90% of them sell out. salt lake city december 8. houston november 24th. we'll soon join that club. do you want to see us? you got to get on it. because of that, we now have the bolder fresher dvd. so y'all can see the show. available on bill o'reilly.com. makes a great christmas gift. many laughs in it please remember all the money i get from this goes to charity. in a moment, a wild and i mean wild mail segment 60 seconds away. [ male announcer ] choosing a windows 8 device with help from your frid. i'm thinking aboutpgrading... finally! jonathan was fine when you were in your 20s, but he's not right for you. good-bye jonathan and his creepy little girl hands. i meant... [ male announcer ] or choosing a windows 8 device with help from the experts at staples. another way staples and hp make it easier to upgrade. make your windows 8 experience even better with hp.
8:55pm
and this week, get $200 off the hp envy dv6 notebook. staples. that was easy. ididide? and this week, get $200 off the hp envy dv6 notebook. you're not my dad ahh!! hey honey, back feels better, little dancing tonight, you and me? dr. scholl's pro inserts relieve different types of lower body pain by treating at the source so you're a whole new you. go pro with dr. scholl's. >> no tip this evening because we have a wild mail segment. but first, my books remain on fire. i thank you all. kennedy, number 1. lincoln number 3. that is unprecedented. never happened before -- in this country on the non-fiction hardback list. they make good christmas gifts.
8:56pm
i will sign them for you if you want. order early. if you become a premium member, you get your choice of books free. now the mail... deputy >> just be honest and work hard. the election will lead to things none of us can foresee. it's out of our hands now. >> and neither do many of them. but younger voters did not go for the president as much as last time and younger voters
8:57pm
mature. >> fair question. folks voted their wallets, all else was way back on the priority list. the president promised far more stuff than the governor did. >> romney had it after the first debate. but did not ramp it up after that. >> throwing grandma under the bus, are you?
8:58pm
>> there should be a not in there, you were not actively campaigning. and i wasn't. >> so while i was criticizing romney, i was giving him tips to defeat obama. a little confusing, but...
8:59pm
>> mr. rove was on less than once a week, just seemed like a lot. we usually had democrats on right after him. >> almost always countered with an anti-obama. this was on facebook. >> well, i am very, very sorry for your loss, susan. i wish i had met your dad. that's it for us tonight. check out the fox news factor web site, different from bill o'reilly dot-com. talking points posted there. it's a very important one. we would like to you read it. we would like to you spout off about the factor from anywhere in the world. name and town if you wish to opine. word of the day, do not be